Muscle and Tendon Strains
Muscle and Tendon Strains Overview
Muscle and tendon strains occur when muscles and tendons are partially torn. Strains make it hard to bear weight and move the foot and ankle. Early treatment relieves stain symptoms and treats the injury before it gets worse. An appointment with a Carolina Orthopaedic and Neurosurgical Associates’ (CONA) foot and ankle specialist should be made as soon as symptoms present.
Symptoms & Causes
Muscle and tendon strain symptoms include:
- Difficulty walking or bearing weight
Common muscle and tendon strain causes are:
- Rolling the foot or ankle
- Twisting the foot or ankle
Athletes and active individuals have the highest muscle and tendon strain risk.
Nonsurgical treatment options treat muscle and tendon strains. After a thorough evaluation, a CONA foot and ankle specialist may recommend:
- A hard-sole shoe
- A walking boot
- Immobilization in a cast, splint or boot
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs)
- Physical therapy
- Rest, ice, compression, elevation (RICE)
Surgery is only recommended to treat complete tendon tears.